We dedicate about a third of our lives to sleeping but why? This informative video from it’s OKAY to be SMART discusses the many reasons why we need to sleep, as well as the processes our bodies undergo while snoozing.
Romance is in the air as Valentine’s Day is fast approaching. But rather than planning on grabbing a bouquet of flowers at the check stand of your grocery store, try to keep your romance eco-friendly.
Here are 10 ideas to make your Valentine’s Day green!
- Plan a fun outing, like a trip to a new museum, art show, concert, etc.
- Cook a special dinner rather than going out.
- Give a handmade gift like this DIY wine rack.
- Paint a picture.
- Write a poem.
- Plan a picnic in the park if the weather is cooperative.
- Frame a favorite photo ot the two of you together.
- Skip the bouquet of flowers and give a potted plant that your loved one can enjoy longer and even plant in the garden.
- Buy a unique gift from a local artisan or vintage store.
- Give your full attention to your loved one(s) by making it a device-free night in with no interruptions.
However you spend Valentine’s, be sure to make it a memorable experience!
Do you lie in bed for hours, staring at the clock? Do you wake up feeling groggy and slow? Lack of sleep can do a lot more than make you have a bad morning—it can hurt your mental and physical health. This video will explore why getting that shut eye is so important, and it will teach you five easy ways to get all the refreshing sleep you need.
2016 is almost here, and with the New Year come New Year’s resolutions! Many people opt for popular resolutions like losing weight or traveling more. But what if this year you tried something a little different and tried to incorporate some eco-conscious resolutions?
Here are 15 resolutions to help get you started on becoming more eco-conscious:
- Implement a recycling system, or ensure that your current system is the best it can be
- Stop buying water bottles and use a reusable bottle
- Add some indoor plants for better air quality
- Unplug unused appliances and turn off unused lights
- Make your home more efficient by switching out old bulbs for longer-lasting energy-efficient light bulbs, or install a new digital thermostat for more accuracy and to better regulate the temperature while using less energy
- Go Paperless – stop paper bills
- Pay bills online
- Lower water temperature to conserve energy
- Repair, restore, and reuse items, when possible
- Use rechargeable batteries
- Adjust your thermostat one degree lower in the winter and one degree higher in the summer to help conserve energy
- Buy local produce to reduce your carbon footprint
- Take shorter showers
- Try to include a vegetarian meal in your weekly menu
- Enjoy the outdoors
This is only a short list of ideas. However, there are hundreds of ways we can make our lives more eco-conscious.
May your 2016 be a happy and healthy year!
From everyone at OMI we are wishing you and yours a happy holiday!
- The Can’t Sleep Colouring Book
Have a friend who is artistic and loves sleep? How about this amazing adult coloring book to help him or her get some better zzz’s at night!
- Night Light
Light up the room without bugging your partner! It’s motion activated, so it is only on when you are up.
- Aromatherapy Candles.
Reported to help with sleep and meditation, these are a great last-minute gift idea for just about anyone.
- Nighttime Beverages
Some people love coffee, but can’t drink it later in the day without fear of staying awake all night. Here is a great gift for the coffee lover who also loves to sleep!
Get them the perfect warm blanket that they can snuggle up in, either on the couch or in bed. Here’s our OMI thermal blanket, which is lightweight but so snuggly!
- Organic Eye Mask
For those who love to take naps or sleep in when the sun is already up, how about these great organic eye masks?
- Dream Journal
Have friends who always tell you stories of their crazy dreams? How about this awesome dream journal?
- Namaste in Bed
Here’s a gift idea for your yogi friend who also loves to catch up on those extra hours of sleep.
- Sound Machine
Some people need a little extra help getting to sleep. If you know anyone who might have trouble, try the gift of a sound machine to help lull them back to sleep.
Everyone loves a great pair of pajamas. For some it is even a Christmas tradition to get a new pair of pj’s every year!
- Alarm Clock
How about a gift for the person who likes to sleep a little too much? This particular alarm clock is also for the caffeine lover, as it brews a fresh cup of coffee as part of the alarm system.