This Friday will mark the 46th year of the Earth Day movement! Earth Day continues to inspire and ignite passion to motivate people into action to help protect our planet. There are many ways we can start incorporating eco-friendly ideas into our lives to lessen our impact on the globe. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Volunteer to pick up litter at your neighborhood park, beach, hiking trail, etc.
- Help evaluate the recycling system in your home and office to ensure you are using the best system possible.
- Be conscious of your energy and water usage. Turn off lights and unplug appliances when not in use, shorten showers, wash laundry in cold water, etc.
- Evaluate your home’s efficiency, ensure you have energy-efficient light bulbs, lower water temperature, and adjust your thermostat at least one degree lower during cold days and one degree higher on hotter days to help conserve energy.
- Use reusable water bottles and coffee mugs rather than paper to-go cups or plastic bottles.
- Bring your own reusable shopping bags for groceries.
- Plan an unplugged night – turn off the TV, computers, laptops, cell phones,and tablets, hang out with family or friends, play games, talk, laugh, and enjoy an electronic-free night.
- Get outside and enjoy our planet: have a picnic, play games, garden, etc.
These simple ideas may not seem like they will make a big impact, but if we all incorporate them in our lives they can add up to big changes.
What changes are you planning on implementing in your life this Earth Day? Tell us in the comments below.