With Cinco de Mayo only days away it is time to begin planning a delicious meal to share with friends. Here are some great recipes to help you start planning a yummy menu:
- Coarse sea or kosher salt
- 1 lime wedge
- ½ cup peeled, finely diced cucumber
- 4 slices of jalapeño
- ¼ cup cilantro sprigs
- ¾ oz. fresh lime juice
- ¼ oz. light agave nectar
- 2 oz. 100% blue agave silver tequila
- ½ oz. Cointreau or triple sec
Pour an even layer of salt on a plate. Rub the rim of an 8-ounce rocks glass or tumbler with lime wedge and invert glass into salt to coat rim.
Combine cucumber, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice, and agave nectar in a 2-cup cocktail shaker. Using a muddler or pestle, gently muddle the mixture.
Fill the shaker halfway with ice, and then add tequila and Cointreau. Cover and shake well until shaker is frosty and cold.
Fill prepared glass with ice. Strain margarita into it and garnish with the cucumber slice.
- 3 roma tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers, stems removed, seeded and diced (add more/less to taste)
- 1 large red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1 large orange bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz.) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro, loosely-packed
- 2/3 cup chopped red onion (about half of a small red onion)
- 2 tbsp. freshly-squeezed lime juice (about 1 large lime)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 small bag tortilla chips
Combine the tomatoes, jalapeño, bell peppers, black beans, corn, cilantro and red onion in a large bowl.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the lime juice, garlic powder, cumin and salt until combined. Add the juice to the bowl of salsa. Then toss everything until combined.
Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate for up to 48 hours.
TEQUILA-MUSTARD-GLAZED CHICKEN SKEWERS
- ½ cup tequila
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp. chopped oregano
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt
- 3 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/4 cup water
- ¼ cup malt vinegar
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup tequila
- 2 tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 tbsp. dry mustard
- 1 tbsp. ground coriander
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. chile powder
- 1 tsp. finely grated lime zest
In a large bowl, combine the tequila, brown sugar, olive oil, garlic, oregano and salt. Add the chicken, toss to coat, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
In a saucepan, whisk together the egg yolks, water, malt vinegar, honey, tequila, lime juice, dry mustard, coriander, cumin and chile powder. Cook over low heat, whisking continuously until thickened (approximately 5 minutes); do not boil. Transfer to a heatproof bowl. Stir in the lime zest and season with salt. Let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate.
Soak 24 bamboo skewers in water for 30 minutes. Light a grill. Transfer 1/2 cup of the mustard to a small bowl. Thread the chicken onto the top third of the skewers; grill over moderate heat, turning, until browned and almost cooked (approximately 8 minutes). Brush the chicken with the reserved ½ cup of mustard and grill until glazed and cooked through. Serve the skewers with the remaining mustard.
Be sure to visit your local farmer’s market to get the freshest ingredients possible for your Cinco de Mayo fiesta.